Thanks for Visiting One Too Many Potatoes...

Monday, February 1, 2010

Frisky Business

(By Courtney Brewer, daughter of Dan & Kay) For our sixth wedding anniversary my parents gave my husband and I the cutest card (my mom just seems to have a knack for finding the perfect one.) On the front was a picture of two chocolate lab puppies – and one of the puppies was kind of chewing on the other puppy’s mouth. The heading on the card read, “You may not be newlyweds anymore…” And when you opened it, the inside read, “But that doesn’t mean you can’t be frisky. Happy Anniversary!” I loved the card and so I placed it on the kitchen table to display it for all to see. A few days later my seven year old son (who at times seems to be able to read way beyond his age level) and I were having breakfast together. He was eating his bowl of Cheerios with a mountain of sugar on them. And I was eating an English muffin with peanut butter, still sort of groggy, waiting for those first few gulps of coffee to help awaken my brain cells. My son picked up the anniversary card and read it out loud to me. He then looked over at me and said, “Mom, what does “FRISKY” mean?” I didn’t need the caffeine anymore – because instantly my heart began to race! This is one of those difficult questions that kids ask. The type that parents normally think about for awhile and have well-thought-out answers prepared for. You know, like “How does Santa deliver all those toys around the world in one night?” I was most definitely not prepared to answer this question...especially at 6:00 in the morning!!! So I took a giant gulp of coffee and began to tell my son what “FRISKY” meant. “Well Bug, it means that when a mommy and daddy love each a lot that they hold hands and cuddle and kiss a lot.” “Oh………….ok” was all my son said! Whew…that was a LOT easier than I expected. My son then looked over at me and said, “Mom, I am NEVER getting married!!!” All I could do was laugh and be thankful for my son’s innocence…And also thankful that his wedding plans were on hold until at least the third grade. *************************************************************** Hold it…Update by Dan/Dad – February 1, 2010: Courtney emailed me and said that Noah is sharing his markers with a little red-haired girl in the first grade…perhaps there is going to be a 3rd grade wedding! Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Dan Vander Ark onetoomanypotatoes.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment